Monday, April 20, 2009

Swinging

So I found myself with a free hour this afternoon. And I asked myself what I should do with it. Should I take a nap? Or should I take a walk? Keep in mind that it is an absolutely gorgeous day outside. The moment I remembered that there was a park just down the street I knew what I had to do.

I went for a walk. When I set out I had hopes for a swing set to be somewhere along the path. I was not let down!

I walked into the park, crossed over a bridge and started down what looked to be a brand new sidewalk. Then the sidewalk ended but I just continued on around the edge of the water. I made it around to the other side and that was when I saw the swings. They were beckoning me to come to to them. And so I did.

There weren't other people in the park. If I was back in Elgin at Wing Park there would be dozens and dozens of people everywhere playing soccer or basketball or tennis, children would be playing on the playground with parents nearby talking with friends. You'd hear kids screaming as they chased one another, or laughter from the games.

But not in this park. It was silent. I could hear the birds. The water hitting the stone edge. I crossed a large empty field towards the swing set. There was no one else around me. After I rolled up my pant legs so that I could bask in the sun I sat down and began pumping my legs.

Back and forth. Lean in and lean back. I can't even remember the last time I sat down just to swing. I found myself going higher and higher. Focusing on the squeakiness of metal on metal. I just wanted to touch the bright blue sky.

I couldn't keep on going forever so I decided it was time to stop and continue on my walk. Yes, walking was a much better idea than taking a nap.

No comments: