Saturday, April 4, 2009

A Baby Dedication and a Special Preacher

On our last Sunday in Nigeria we worshiped at the EYN Utako church in Abuja. There were several very special things about worship that morning. Firstly there was a baby dedication that took place. It was very special to see this child presented to the congregation and dedicated to God. Throughout the trip it was sometimes hard to see the similarities between EYN and the Church of the Brethren here in the states. While the roots of EYN are in fact Brethren, it isn’t always apparent. Here was a time when it was apparent. To see this small child dedicated and to be part of the group that accepted the child into the church was a very special moment for me. We rose up as one people, as Nigerians and Americans and Europeans, and to accept our part in this child’s life. In my case, through prayer. It gave me chills. God was moving in that moment. Secondly that morning the sermon was delivered by one of our leaders, Reverend Anthony Ndamsai. I grew to love this man and his family during my short time in the country. To have had the opportunity to hear him preach is priceless. And for me especially because the text he used was from Esther 4. A few days before I knew he was going to be preaching he showed me something he had written based on this text from Esther. In fact he had written it with me in mind. It was very humbling to read and to realize that God was speaking to me through Anthony. In many ways I feel as though I am being called to go back to Nigeria and this message from Anthony is part of that calling.

No comments: