Monday, November 30, 2009

Give Thanks

This year for Thanksgiving I did things a little different. For starters I didn't go anywhere. I decided to stay here in Elgin to celebrate the holiday with those I have met who have become my family. When I first moved out here in the fall of 2007 I was adopted by a family at the Highland Avenue CoB, and over the past several years we have enjoyed spending time together and getting to know each other, and they truly have become a second family to me. I enjoy every opportunity I have to spend time with the Chapman's. So this year in deciding to stay around for the holiday, I knew I had a family to spend it with. As it turns out, I was also invited to the Shively home as well to celebrate the day with them. So I had not one, but two full meals in one day. AND, a friend from back east was passing through town on Thanksgiving, so he was also more than welcome to join me at both places.

So then this morning I was talking with one of our project directors for Brethren Volunteer Service and Thanksgiving came up as it tends to do this time of year. We were exchanging greetings and asking how the holiday went. And he was telling me how he realized this year just how important the relationships we have with one another are, especially during a holiday such as Thanksgiving. And I got to thinking about it and I agree. I mean everyone talks about the food, but there is so much more to the holidays than what you're eating. This may seem obvious, but it's important to actually connect the dots, even on a picture that seems obvious without the lines.

So this is me being thankful for the many relationships that I've been blessed with over the years. And for the relationships that I'm blessed with now.

No comments: