Friday, December 25, 2009

Hoarfrost


We don't see it very often. I'm not sure that I've ever even seen it myself. I think the only time I've really heard much about it was when I was younger reading the Little House on the Prairie series. It seems to me that it came up a few times then!

Yesterday I was out driving through the countryside with my dad and a friend and all the trees were covered in a white substance and I couldn't remember there being any freezing rain to fall the night before that would have covered the trees with anything. Then my dad said he thought it was hoarfrost, something he'd never seen before. It happens when white ice crystals are loosely deposited on the ground or exposed objects, and these crystals form on cold clear nights when heat losses into the open skies cause objects to become colder than the surrounding air. It's absolutely beautiful to see! Breathtaking actually. Luckily I had my camera with me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

cool photos!

bekah said...

totally breathtaking.

Unknown said...

Love the photos, really beautiful. I am glad that you had your camera with you as to as to share. Thanks