Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Funny Story

This weekend I was visiting with a friend of mine who is a counselor at McPherson College in Kansas. McPherson is one of our denominational colleges for the Church of the Brethren. I met Matt several years ago at Annual Conference because we were both there representing our respected colleges. Bridgewater for me, McPherson for Matt. He's been an admissions counselor as long as I've known him. Well I saw him this weekend while I was in Kansas for The Gathering, which is a district wide conference minus the business that usually takes place at district conference. Which basically means it's pretty awesome. This is all very important information for the following exchange...

So Matt and I were walking back to where the youth were meeting through out the weekend. You know, talking and catching up on how life has been since we saw each other over the summer. He was excited because he told me that his role at the college had changed and now he is a counselor for the Brethren students on campus. I thought about this for a minute, not quite understanding on why Brethren students needed counseling...

This was because my mind immediately went to a scenario in which a student would come to Matt telling him that they had a phobia of other people washing their feet and are unable to participate in feet washing services at Love Feast. And that they were coming to Matt so that he could help talk them through this phobia of theirs.

I don't know why that is what I thought of, but it was. And so I told him that and we both had a good laugh over it. Of course that's not his job. His new job as the Brethren counselor is so that he can focus on bringing more Brethren students to campus through recruitment. Which makes total sense.

Of course, I am still totally amused at the idea of having a counselor available to help with these little Brethren quirks...such as a phobia of others touching your feet. Which is very possible. But what would happen if there was a Brethren student who didn't like...well, ice cream...oh dear.

No comments: