Sunday, August 16, 2009

What if I Stay? What if I Go?

I was thinking today at church about the many people I know and the various types of relationships and friendships there are in the world. Well the world might be a bit broad, but I can at least think about the ones in my life.

Those who know me well know that I love to meet new people and to learn what I can about them. I love to learn what their story is. It's a great thing. I know a lot of people from many different parts of my life. I know people from church in Bridgewater and Westminster and now from Highland Avenue. I know people from Brethren Woods, Camp Swatara, Camp Mount Hermon, Camp Ithiel, Camp Myrtlewood. I know people from the dozen or so workcamps that I've led these past several summers. I know people from John Wayland Elementary, Pence Middle School, Turner Ashby High School, Bridgewater College, and the University of Glouschestershire. I know people from National Youth Conference, Young Adult Conference and Annual Conference. I know people from my BVS Unit. I know people in England and Germany and Nigeria.

Needless to say that through all of these places I have met my fair share of people. And in many cases I have this knack of remembering many of these people. AND I attempt to keep in touch with them. This is the hard part. How does one keep in touch with everyone that they've met over the years? It just isn't possible. And believe it or not I do recognise this fact. I'm not going to say that I like it, but I do realize that it isn't possible. I'm awful at keeping in touch. I'm not good at writing letters, or e-mails. It's nothing personal, I'm just not practiced in writing. I struggle with keeping up with this blog much of the time!

One thing I have been thinking more and more lately is how there are some people that we meet who are meant to pass through our lives after leaving their mark on our life. Whatever that mark may be. I struggle a great deal when I lose touch with a friend, someone that I thought I'd never lose touch with. It does sadden me, but this thought that people pass through our lives for a reason gives me a sense of peace. This is something that I am still thinking about and pondering but that is okay because relationships of all sizes and strengths matter to me.

No comments: