Monday, July 18, 2011

Significant Event

So here I am back in the blog-0-sphere attempting to start again with writing down some of my experiences and thoughts. It seems the trend is that when something significant happens in my life I feel the urge to sit down on this thing and see what comes out. As a bit of an update, I've been working for the last nine months as a sales associate at one of the four REI's here in Chicago and for the last six months as a nanny to a super cute two year old named Harper. It actually has worked out really well because I need both jobs to get by and my nannying job is so flexible that it works in around my ever changing work schedule at REI.

Now on to the significant event. I just returned from a week in Haiti. And I realized a few things.

1. Working in retail is not exactly rewarding work. At least it's not for me forever.

Now don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with working in retail. I have actually really enjoyed my time so far with REI. And as far as retail goes, I'm glad that it is with REI. I enjoy helping people prepare to do cool things like hike the Grand Canyon, or travel to Kenya and many other cool destinations. For several months now I've been thinking of a bit of a time line for myself. Enjoy my summer travels that I had and have planned, work as much as I can when I'm here and then come fall start looking again at job possibilities. And in order to look for jobs I need to figure out what direction I want my life to take (and that's a story for another time).

2. At some point in the future I would really like to adopt if possible.

For awhile now I have had the thought process that I can't justify bringing another child into this world when there are so many children who need a loving home. On my recent trip to Haiti I was able to visit an orphanage and the children there simply melted my heart. And one of the guys on this trip with me has a little girl that he and his family adopted from Haiti (this was how we ended up at this particular orphanage). I will say that there was one good outcome of the earthquake that hit Port au Prince in January of 2011, it expedited the adoption process of many children from Haiti who otherwise would still be waiting clearance to come to the United States.

So that's it for now. More to come soon.

No comments: