Monday, November 17, 2008

The Red Tree

The Red Tree by Shaun Tan

sometimes the day begins
with nothing to look forward to

and things go from bad to worse

darkness overcomes you

nobody understands

the world is a deaf machine

without sense or reason

sometimes you wait

and wait

and wait

and wait

and wait

and wait

and wait

but nothing ever happens

then all your troubles come at once

wonderful things are passing you by

terrible fates are inevitable

sometimes you just don't know what you are supposed to do

or

who you are meant to be

or

where you are

and the day seems to end the way it began

but suddenly there it is right in front of you

bright and vivid

quietly waiting

just as you imagined it would be


This children's book was handed to me this morning by one of the girls in my office. When I oppened it I had no idea what the story line would be. I found that the story resonated with me more than I thought possible.

I'm looking for my 'red tree.'

No comments: