Saturday, July 5, 2008

Last On the Hill

Well, this is the quietest it has been on the Hill here in Neon for a week but only because I'm the only one here! Everyone left this morning and it was a bitter sweet time. I was looking forward to the end of the week so that I would have some time to rest, but at the same time it's hard to say good bye to these awesome youth that I've been blessed to know. They never cease to amaze me and bring be great joy and this is why I absolutely love my job. There was one young man who was always quick to answer and who seemed a bit rough around the edges, but this morning I received the most amazing hug from him. I truly feel touched and blessed by having the opportunity to spend the week with this guy and to watch him interact with the other youth and knowing that there is so much more to him than the 'mean guy' face that he puts on. He always gave me a hard time whenever I would ask him to do something, but then he would do it and he would do it well. Amazing young man... I could go on and on about each of these youth, but that would take a long time! All I know is that it is so great to be able to look back at the lists that I've been using for the past six months and realize that I now know all of those people personally!

This week Steve and I had the group write affirmations for each other and all in all I think that went over really really well. Some people saw it as a chore but others used it as more of a reason to get to know others in the group better so that they could write more personalized comments to one another. I got a lot of affirmation and encouragement in my bag and many memories were written down. I think we can all use a bit of affirmation in our lives, it is always so encouraging and uplifting and it's what makes us tick: to know that someone cares and is paying attention and that they believe in you. I believe in all these youth and I know that each one of them has such great potential and my life has purpose because of them.

It is quiet on the Hill but everwhere I go there's a memory of some kind. There is the crazy four square court where we played using rules I haven't used since elementary school, there's the ping pong table where we played a crazy version of ping pong but it got more than two people involved, there's the gravel area where we had devotions each morning and a water balloon fight one afternoon, there's the corner couch that I think at one point at at least ten people sitting on it, there's the ball field where we played a massive game of kickball and then soccer, there's the mural that some of my group painted so we could leave our physical mark here, there's the curbs in Neon that look amazing and bright with their new coat of paint, there's the dryer that was prayed for so that laundry could be done and then we realized it wasn't plugged in (hehehe), there's the hillside that we all crawled over trying to cut down brush, and the list goes on and on. Each week this place is lived and and loved. It's a bit rusty around the edges, but it sure does become home pretty fast!

I'll say it again and again, this is such a great place to be. The people friendly and welcoming and helpful and they always tell you to come back and see em when you're next in town. I'm happy that I get to stay and work with these people for another week. It's gonna be a totally different experience, but it's gonna be a great one!

No comments: