Friday, June 27, 2008

Ah the Memories

So last night I was helping out with Vacation Bible School at the Highland Avenue CoB and while I was working I began to think back to when I went to VBS as a kid. My most absolute favoritest VBS was when we did the Market Place. It was so great because we could move around from stall to stall doing various projects like tying knots to make a fishing net, pouring hot wax into sand to make candles, eating food and a dozen other things! I can remember doing this several years in a row both at the Bridgewater CoB and at the Dayton CoB. It was a good time as far as I can remember!

So then right after I helped with VBS last night, I met with David and I began to think even more about growing up in the church and all the memories I have at the old Bridgewater CoB. Everytime I go into that building the memories always come flooding back. From remembering where I always sat with my grandparents in the front right of the sanctuary, usually in the third or fourth pew, playing hangman or connected the dots with my cousins. There there were the times where all the kids in the congregation would race down to the kitchen after communion was over so that we could get some of the leftovers! Many times I got my fill of grape juice and bread! And that bread, oh it's so good! It's great fun to think back to all the lock-in's and times that we played Sardines, and with the building have three levels in places, it was the perfect place to play! My favorite part of a Sunday morning service was the children's story and I can remember once when Naomi West led that time and was in the front of the church in plain clothes with a wheel barrel full of dirt and I think she planted something. One of the things that always has stayed with me were her hands and how much life those hands had experienced over the years. She was an amazing woman and it was neat to have the chance to grow up around her and hear her stories. I had my affirmation class in the old church before moving up the new church building where I was eventually baptized and that was special to. A way to connect the old with the new. Ah, so many memories and those memories are certainly a blessing to me!

I miss being in that building, I miss the times I had with my grandparents and family while I was there. I always think of my grandfather when I'm there and how much he meant to me. I'm a lucky girl and I have been extremely blessed with a family who has taken the time to care for me and raise me and encourage me along in whatever crazy thing I was interested in doing. You all have made it possible for me to be where I am today!

No comments: